I think most of you have heard about Google Adwords keyword planner. That’s a tool almost everyone knows about. It is very popular till today but sometimes you might not get satisfactory results with the adwords keyword tool – Keyword Planner! To get more insight on your targeted keywords, you need to check some other free keyword research tools! In this tutorial, I am going to discuss my favorite top 5 free keyword research tools 2016
Top 5 Free Keyword Research Tools – 2016
1. Google Adwords Keyword Planner: Do you use Google Adwords Keyword Planner for keyword research? If you are not then you should! This is one of the greatest keyword research tool on this planet! If you don’t know how to do keyword research in keyword planner, don’t worry. I am going to show you everything step by step.
- First you need to login to adwords.google.com (if you have Gmail or other Google products accounts then you don’t need to register in adwords.google.com. Just make sure you are logged in to Gmail or other Google products before you are going to open adwords.google.com)
- If you are not running any campaigns then you might ask by Google bot to create a campaign but that’s not mandatory. Just click on “Tools” and then “Keyword Planner“
- After clicking the “Keyword Planner“, you will see something like this:
- Click on “Search for new keywords using a phrase, website or category” and insert your targeted keywords, products or services in the box one after one just like the following image. In my case, I have put my targeted keywords that are keyword research tools, top keyword research tools, and free keyword research tools. I didn’t put other keywords that I targeted for this topic like keyword research tools 2016, top 5 free keyword research tools, keyword research tool or top free keyword research tools. You can put your competitor landing page or other landing page in the “Your landing page” box but that’s not necessary. Also you can ignore “your product category” section.
- Now move to “Targeting” section. This section is important. You need to select your targeted location for your targeted keywords (for which region you want to get the traffic data of your keywords). By default it’s all locations. But you can select Australia, Bangladesh, Canada or whatever country/countries you like. In my case, I selected “All locations“. After selecting the region for your keywords, you need to select the language of your keywords. My keywords are in English so I chose “English” but if your keywords are say Spanish then you need to pick “Spanish“. After choosing the language for your keywords, in the next field, you can either select Google or Google and its search partners. In my case, I chose Google. I don’t want to get search data from Google and its partners! Then in the “Negative keywords” field you can assign some words/keywords one by one for which you don’t want to get the results for your keywords. In my case, I don’t want to see keywords like “keyword research tools reviews” or “top keyword research tools review” so I chose “reviews” and “review” as negative keywords. Just look around other three options – “Keyword filters“, “Keyword option” and “Keyword to include” if you like. Finally you need to click on the blue button called “Get ideas“
- You will see the search trends for your keywords. Just underneath the search trend graph there will be two options – “Ad group ideas“ and “Keyword ideas“. Click on “Keyword ideas“. If you like to modify the keywords or other preferences, you need to click on “Modify search” button.
- You will now see your keywords average monthly searches, competition and other data. Forget other columns! You can just concentrate on the first three columns – Search terms (your targeted keywords), Avg. monthly searches and Competition. In my case, I should give top priority to “keyword research tools” as this keyword has the highest avg. monthly searches!
- But don’t forget to take a quick look at other suggested keywords! If you scroll down you will see all other related keywords (except the negative keywords). Most importantly, you can download all these keywords! You can tightly theme all the related keywords in Excel and then you can do whatever you want to do with those keywords!
- Well you have learn many things about adwords keyword tool – keyword planner! Now let’s move on to other keyword research tools!
2. Keywordtool.io: Keywordtool.io is another great keyword research tool! If you want to get the best juice from this tool then you need to upgrade to pro account. If you upgrade to pro plan then you will
Get 2 Times More Long-tail Keywords Plus Search Volume, CPC, And AdWords Competition Data With Keyword Tool Pro
as you can see like adwords keyword tool, you can’t get the traffic data if you are using the free plan of keywordtool.io. Anyway let’s explore this tool.
Okay I am going to try with two keywords at a time: keyword research tool and top keyword research tools (comma separated). But look what I have got! It seems they don’t allow to include two or more keywords at a time like adwords keyword tool – keyword planner.
No problem! Let’s try with just one keyword – keyword research tool. This time I get 172 related keywords for “keyword research tool” keyword. Please check the arrows in the images. I choose Google.com as my preferred Google domain, language is English and tab is “Keyword Suggestions“, not the “Questions”
You can also get your keyword’s related search terms from Youtube, Bing or App Store. This is pretty cool right? Moreover, you can check the “Questions” tab just beside the “Keyword Suggestions“. That will give you some ideas on the article’s title (if you are going to write a post with your targeted keyword).
As I said before, like adwords keyword tool, keywordtool.io will not reveal search volume, cpc and competition information to the free users. But you can copy all the keywords and then extract them in notepad and finally put them in adwords keyword planner to check all the keywords search volume, cpc and competition!
So you have learn how to use keywordtool.io! Let’s move on to my next favorite keyword research tool.
3. Soovle.com: Soovle.com is another awesome keyword research tool. Just write your targeted keyword in the keyword box and this tool will gather information from the search engines and provide you the related queries/suggestions for your targeted keyword. You don’t need to hit the Soovle button. Right after you start writing on the box it will be gathering information for you!
Like keywordtool.io, Soovle doesn’t support multiple keywords at a time nor it provides you the traffic data like Adwords Keyword Tool – keyword planner.
But there are some cool features in Soovle. You can check top internet keywords! To find out top internet keywords, you need to click on the yellow star-top button! To get clear idea on this, click on the following image.
Moreover, Soovle extracts keywords information from seven search engines – Google, Amazon, Yahoo, Bing, Youtube, Answer and Wikipedia. You can click on any icon just underneath the keyword box or hit the right-arrow key to change the search engines. To get clear idea on this, click on the following image.
If you want to extract the suggested keywords then click on the hard drive icon. All the keywords will be saved in a csv file into your drive. To get clear idea on this, click on the following image.
Furthermore, you can drag any keyword and paste it in the book button. That keyword suggestion will be saved! You can then mail the keywords suggestions to your SEO guys or anyone you prefer! Additionally, you can print or download all the keywords suggestions. You can also check the trends of your keywords! To get clear idea on this, click on the following image.
I often use this tool for keyword research. You can also play around with this smart keyword research tool. Hope you will like it!
4. Ubersuggest: My next favorite keyword research tool is Ubersuggest. They have clear instructions on how to perform keyword research, on their homepage. You can visit their home page and get the idea and do the keyword research! Nothing much too add for this tool.
You can visit their website and play around with the tool and you will find it quite similar to keywordtool.io
5. Google Trends: My next favorite keyword research tool is Google Trends. With this tool, you can view the graph chart for your keywords. There are several options for keyword research. For my case, I chose “worldwide” data, date range from 2004-present (you can’t retrieve keywords information before 2004), but you can choose past hour, past 4 hours, past day, past 7 days, past 30 days, or whatever date range you like. Moreover, you can select specific categories and preferred search engines e.g. Google’s web search, image search, shopping, news search or Youtube search.
First I checked only one keyword – “keyword research tool“. After that I added more search terms as this tool supports multiple keywords feature. You can add and compare maximum 5 keywords at a time! For my case, I chose keyword research tool, top keyword research tools, best keyword research tool, free keyword research tool and keyword research tool 2015.
It seems keyword research tool keyword outranked all other keywords for the month of September 2015. Also from the graph chart, I am getting a feel that this keyword will have an uptrend very soon! This keyword should be my main keyword for this topic!
Moreover, you can view region or city based information for your keywords. It seems my targeted keyword “keyword research tool” has high search queries from India (New Delhi to be specific) than other region.
Final thoughts: Above 5 keyword research tools are my favorite. In my personal opinion these are some of the best keyword research tools. I often use these tools for keyword research. If you have any other tool please let us know via comments. Unleash your keyword research tool with us!