Today, it is important for every app developer to consider app optimization as a part of development process. The constant growth of apps makes it necessary to use effective app store optimization methods. Nelson reported that “over 70% of the total usage comes from the top 200 apps“. This means to become successful, your app needs to reach in the top 200. So to make your app successful you need a solid marketing strategy. App Store Optimization (ASO) is one key ingredient of app marketing. In this article we will take look at 3 effective ASO techniques.
3 Effective Ways To Optimize Your App On App Stores
Every marketing department would agree with competitive research. This is one of the conventional and successful strategies that everyone needs to follow.
An in-depth competitive research provides you additional information like what features would help you to enhance your app, successful marketing strategies and how you can stand out amongst your competitors.
There are six key pointers that you should make a note of while carrying out competitive research. These are:
1) App Downloads – There is no defined procedure or software that could help you accurately track your competitors download, but with competitive research you can surely get a fair idea of the development. You can always gauge your content and set milestones based on these findings.
2) Price by Region – Before you decide whether to opt for a paid app or no, run an analysis on your competitor’s decision. Support your decision by kind of features they offer and whether it’s free or paid app.
3) Ranking by Category and Region – While you try to analyze your competitor’s ranking, try to understand their marketing strategy and its result. Perhaps, you could get new ideas by this.
4) Update Cycle – Applications need constant updating. Try to understand the reason behind your competitor’s app updates and their aftereffects. This might guide when and what you need to update.
5) Reviews and Ratings – This comes without saying. Your competitor’s success or failure is important. Keeping tab of activities on reviews and ratings is the best way to observe the change.
6) Description – Description is integral part of App Store Optimization (ASO). Closely observe the changes your competitor is making in their description and keywords they’re adding or removing from there.
Localize Your App and Keyword
In the process of globalization don’t forget to localize your app. Add features of localization while developing your app. Report by Forrester Research says that 95% Chinese were comfortable in buying from websites in regional language. Thus, in order to expand and expect growth in foreign revenues, you need to go local.
In the process of getting local, consider these points:
1) Description and Title – This is relatively easy since a simple translation can give satisfactory results. However, be creative and add impressive local words.
2) Keywords – Good keyword has high volume with low competition. Look for similar keywords in regional languages. There are tools to assist you on this.
3) Don’t use auto-translators – Auto-translators will never provide you desired result. Rather, hire an expert who can help you meet your requirement since meaning of words change with region.
Constantly growing app market indicates the need to have app analytics. This would help you comprehend the results of strategies executed for app optimization.
Marketers are paying attention to analytics to gauge their performance on app stores. Based on the results, they are coming up with successful strategies. The results of analytics are useful to developers as well.
App analytics provide you number of downloads, user behavior and number of active users. The analytics help you to break down user behavior to minute detail like time spent on app, where the users are taking action and from which screen they quit the app. These details help you to make required changes to the app, making it more engaging and interactive.
Similar to Search Engine Optimization, App Store Optimization can help you escalate your presence on app stores. These are few successful ways to improve your app store search results. Incorporate them and see the result yourself.
This guest post is written by Pritam Barhate:
Pritam Barhate, with 10+ years of experience in technology, heads Technology Innovation at Mobisoft Infotech. He has a rich experience in design and has been a consultant for a variety of industries and startups. At Mobisoft Infotech, he primarily focuses on technology resources and develops the most advanced solutions. Follow him @pritambarhate