Setting up Call only ads campaign is pretty straight forward but measuring the outcome is very complex! Check our next tutorial after reading this blog post.
In this blog post, I am going to show you how to set up Call Only Ads campaign (step by step). I will also show you how to set up “phone call” conversion. Important thing is for call only ads campaign, you don’t need to set up any conversion tracking code on your website. We will cover this point later. For now, let’s begin “how to setup Call Only Ads” campaign
How to Create a new call-only campaign:
- At first, you need to sign in your existing AdWords account.
- On the Adwords “Campaigns” tab, just click on red +Campaign drop-down menu, after that select the “Search Network Only” option.
- Now add any name for your Ad campaign. In order to assist you to search this campaign in future, you need to indicate in the campaign name that it’s a call-only.
- Next choose “Call-only-Ads” campaign type to inspire people to call your company.
- Select your Devices, Networks, and Location targeting. For devices, please note that “Call only” campaign ads will only be visible on devices which can make calls.
- Under the “Bid Strategy,” you will find several options. If you want to change keywords CPC bids by yourself, you can select “Manual CPC” method and uncheck “Enable Enhanced CPC” option. If you want to choose automated system, you can select any other option.
- Delivery method should be “Standard” if you don’t want to exhaust your daily budget quickly.
- Assign “Start Date” and “End Date” (You can leave “End Date” as “none” if you want to run your call only ads campaign continuously) under Advanced Settings.
- Ad scheduling is very important for “Call Only” campaign. If you can take calls 24×7, you can leave this option (people can call you at 2.00 AM or any time they wish if you don’t set Ad scheduling for your ads), but suppose you have a representative who can receive calls during certain office hours then you need to make sure that your ads will run during those hours only. For “Call only” ad campaign, we recommend you to take advantage of “Ad scheduling”
- You can select other settings you would like for your ad campaign.
- Now click on the Save and continue.
How to Create a New Ad Group for Call Only Campaign:
To create new ad group:
- On the page of your ad group, enter the ad group name.
- Now create your ad.
- Enter the name of business. It should be the name of your own company.
- Enter your business mobile phone or land phone number. It’s the contact number customers will dial while they click on your ad headline.
- Add your service or product description text, plus display URL.
- Enter the verification URL. It should be the web page address that contains the cellphone number you added above. Google AdWords will consider this web page in order to verify your cellphone number, and the main domain of this given URL must match with your display URL.
- After that you need to select “A Google forwarding phone number and use call reporting” option under “Show my ad with” section. Please note, Google forwarding works only for selected countries. If you are in Bangladesh or a country where Google forwarding doesn’t work, you can’t use this option.
- In Report conversions, make sure “count calls as phone call conversions” is marked. From Conversion action drop down menu, select your phone call conversion name. Check how to create a phone call conversion section and come back here to check following steps!
- Enter your targeted keywords for call-only ads. We recommend you to avoid adding generic keywords in your “Call Only” campaign. For call-only ads, it works differently as compare to normal ads. The clicks registered at AdWords are not referring to call but the click. You will be charged whenever someone taps/clicks on your ad! For more details, you can check our next tutorial.
- Enter the default bid that you want. It’s the most you will pay per click for the ads in your ad group.
- Click “Save ad group” to finish the process.
How to Create a Phone Call Conversion:
- First you need to Sign in to your personal or business AdWords account.
- Simply click on the Tools tab and you will see the drop-down menu. From the drop-down menu select “Conversions”.
- Now click the red +Conversion button.
- You will see 4 options. From those options, select the “Phone calls” feature.
- Now you will see 3 options. You need to select the first one : “Calls from ads using call extensions or call-only ads“.
- Click on the Name. To identify the phone call conversion later “when it appears in conversion reports” you need to type a particular name of the phone call conversion which you would want to track. For instance it might be “Phone Calls”, “Booking calls” or “Flower phone orders”. Next Click on “Done” button.
- Now click on “Pencil” icon of “Value”. You can submit a value for every single call or alternatively select “Don’t assign a value” if you would not prefer to assign one. Then click Done.
- Now you need to click “Call Length”. Submit the minimal length, of course in seconds, that a phone call should endure to be considered as a conversion. And then click Done.
- Next, Click Count. On this section select either to count “every or one” conversion for every ad click. “One” is ideal for leads and “Every” is ideal for sales. Then click Done.
- Then you need to click “Conversion” window. Select exactly how long after an ad click you would like to track conversions. You can select from one week to sixty days (60 days is the maximum value for tracking a successful conversion). Click on “Done” button.
- After that, click on the Category. You will find 4 options. You can select the category which is best suited to your adwords conversion. Your selection here is applied to segment your adwords conversion reports. You can always modify it later very easily. Ok then, click “Done”.
- Next is Include in “Conversions” section. By default, it is ticked. You don’t want to uncheck this as selecting this setting will add data for this conversion action as part of your “Conversions” reporting column. If you select to uncheck this setting, your data will continue to be added in the “All conversions” column.
- At last click on “Save and continue”.
Now at the beginning, I said “for call only ads campaign, you don’t need to set up any conversion tracking code on your website.” To know more details on this, please check following video tutorial.
In the following video tutorial I have disclosed my client’s Adwords ID as well as my adwords MCC ID. I have taken permission from my client. Please don’t send any spam messages to my email or client’s email. Thanks!