Update on 12th June: Alexa Claiming has been retired in May 2016
If you are looking for “how to claim a website in Alexa for free“, unfortunately my friend, you can’t do it free anymore. Alexa has been retired from claiming!
Today I tried to claim my website in alexa. So I simply visited alexa.com and in search box I wrote SEO-Service-Provider.Org and hit enter button to see what’s the status of my website in alexa. My company is located in Dhaka, Bangladesh and I was hoping to see my website would be ranked for Bangladesh. But surprisingly it is ranked for India! So it is mandatory to claim my website in alexa for free and fix the error. I immediately registered an account in alexa. After the email verification I logged into alexa with my email and password. Again I performed search for SEO-Service-Provider.org and I saw the following image:
Then I clicked on “Certify your site’s metrics” link and it was showing me to upgrade my plan:
Please note, I didn’t install any code on the pages of my website. So something seemed not right there. As a result, I was playing with the tabs and I stopped at the “My Dashboard” tab, hoping that I would claim my site through this. But again I was getting “View Plans and Pricing” message while trying to add my site, it was forcing me to upgrade.
Please note, earlier in Alexa, there was an INTRO “Free plan” package that a user could choose but there was no Free Plan option in Alexa anymore:
So I checked support center and performed a search with this query “claim my website“. Fortunately, at that time I was in right place. So in order to claim your website you need to go to this address: http://www.alexa.com/siteowners/claim
It seems Alexa indirectly forcing their users to upgrade their plan, hiding “claim your website” option under the “My Dashboard” or “Account Management” tabs. It would be lot easier for first time users to claim their website if it’s clearly visible under “My Dashboard” or “Account Management” tabs.
Anyway, here is the total process in brief to claim your website for free in Alexa:
1. Go to Alexa.com
2. Register an Account
3. After verifying your account please log in to your account. You can also login to alexa with your Facebook account details.
4. Now visit this address: http://www.alexa.com/siteowners/claim
5. Enter your website URL and hit “continue” button.
6. On the next page you will see the following image:
7. Choose either 1 or 2 in order to claim your website for free.
8. If you click on Method 1, you will have the option to download a file to your computer . Please download that file. After that upload the same file to your website’s root directory and click “Verify the file on your site” in 2nd step.
9. Congratulation! Your site is successfully claimed in Alexa.
If you prefer Method 2 (if you don’t prefer Method 1), then click on Method 2 on step 7. You will see a meta tag verification code that you need to place on thesection of your homepage HTML. After that, click on “Verify my ID” button.
Congratulation! Your site is successfully claimed in Alexa.
Please share this article – How Can I Claim My Website in Alexa if you find it helpful! Please feel free to share your thoughts in comments. Thanks!